Are you eligible? Have you claimed your discount?

News & blog » Rate Relief Scheme for Pubs

September 22, 2017

Inma Fuentes Grant

[PREVIOUS] Will Brexit impact your employee resource?

[NEXT] Are you saving time on your bookkeeping

In the Spring Budget, the Chancellor announced that he would be introducing a £1,000 business rates discount for public houses.

The Government provides funding, so that if you are a pub in England with a rateable value of less than £100,000 you’ll get business rates relief from 1 April 2017 to 31 March 2018, providing a discount worth up to £1,000 in the financial year.

This is an area that has attracted much press and conversation over recent months. The support has been welcomed, but questions asked as to whether it is enough considering the impact of spiralling business rates. Comments have challenged whether the relief will support as many publicans as initially indicated in the budget. There has also been criticism around the delay of providing further information and the claim procedure.

Are you eligible? Have you claimed your discount?

In England and Wales, the Valuation Office Agency (VOA) works out your rateable value based on the annual level of trade (excluding VAT) that a pub is expected to achieve if operated in a reasonably efficient way.

Please note that this relief will cease at the end of the 2017/18 financial year and needs to comply with the European Union law on State Aid.


Eligibility criteria

This relief is administered under the local discount powers contained in Section 47 of the Local Government Finance Act 1988.

For relief to be granted, the Council must make a decision within 6 months of the end of the financial year.

To be eligible for this relief the following qualifying criteria must be met:

  • The rateable value of the premises must be less than £100,000
  • The premises must be occupied and:
  • be open to the general public
  • allow free entry other than when occasional entertainment is provided
  • allow drinking without requiring food to be consumed
  • permit drinks to be purchased at a bar
  • Not exceed State Aid limits


Contact details

  1. E:
  2. Tel: 07968 534034